All of us are moved and upset by incident where Bhima calls Karna a SutaPutra and tells him to go mind horses!
We have always accepted that Karna’s foster-father Adhiratha was a Suta. Yet, in the Srimad Bhagavatham I found the following lineage of Adhiratha. He is descended from Yayati, through Anga and Rompada as given below, and is therefore related to Sri Krishna.
We are also impressed by the “gift” of Anga Desa by Duryodhana to Karna, and yet it appears that it rightfully belongs to Adhiratha, by his lineage! Please Read On!
Source/Reference (Srimad Bhagavatham) : Adhiratha’s Lineage :
- Yayati, Anu (brother of Yadu), Sabhanara, Kalanara, Srinjaya
- Mahasala, Mahamana, Titikshu, Rushadratha, Homa, Sutapa, Bali (by the grace of Dirghatama)
- Anga, Khalapana, Diviratha, Dharmaratha,
- Romapada (aka Citraratha), (had by the mercy of Rishyasringa), Caturanga,
- Prithulaksha, Brihadratha, Brihanmana, Jayadratha, Vijaya, Dhriti, Dhritavrata, Satkarma, Adhiratha.
Romapada was the friend of Dasaratha. Dasaratha gave his daughter Santa, in adoption to Romapada. Santa was married to Rsyasringa, who performed the Putrakameshti yagam for Dasaratha. Then Sri Rama, Lakshmana, Bharata and Satrughna were born.
- Thus Sri Rama was much younger than his sister and brother-in-law. Caturanga would be of Sri Rama’s generation.
- Prithulaksha, Brihadratha, Brihanmana, Jayadratha, Vijaya, Dhriti, Dhritavrata, Satkarma, Adhiratha, Karna (by adoption).
- This lineage puts Karna about 10 generations down from Sri Rama.
- Anga, was an ancestor of Adhiratha and therefore Karna had inheritance rights on Anga Desa. Did Duryodhana gift or return Anga to Karna?
- This Bali, father of Anga cannot be the Mahabali, grandson of Prahlada, son of Virochana.
anga – Anga; vanga – Vanga; kalinga – Kalinga; adyah — headed by; suhma – Suhma; pundra – Pundra; odra – Odra; samjnitah — known as such; jajnire — were born; dirghatamasah — by the grace of Dirghatama; baleh — of Bali; kshetre — field; mahi-kshitah — of the king of the world.
Authorship and Copyright Notice : Satya Sarada Kandula : All Rights Reserved