Each manvantara is an age and is ruled over by a Manu. One of Brahma’s days is known as a kalpa and there are fourteen manvantaras in every kalpa. At the end of every kalpa, the universe is destroyed and has to be created afresh. (There is a different Indra for each manvantara)
In the present kalpa, six manvantaras have already passed and the seventh manvantara is now current. There will be seven more manvantaras in the future before the universe and its inmates are destroyed. The gods, the seven great sages (saptarshis) and the individual who holds the title of Indra, change from one manvantara to another. The fourteen eras of the present kalpa are as follows.
(1) The first Manu was Svayambhuva (Brahma’s son, Daksha’s father-in-law). The devas then were the Yamas.
(2) Svarochisha was the second Manu. The devas were the tushitas and the names of the seven great sages were Dattoli, Chyavana (Bhrgu’s son), Stambha, Prana, Kashyapa, Ourva (Bhrgu’s descendant, Cyavana’s son) and Brihaspati (Sukracharya’s contemporary).
(3) The third Manu was Outtama. The gods were named the bhavanas and Koukurundi, Dalbhya, Shankha, Pravahana, Shiva, Sita and Sasmita were the saptarshis.
(4) Tamas was the fourth Manu. The seven great sages were Kavi (Bhrgu or Valmiki),Prithu, Agni, Akapi, Kapi, Jalpa and Dhimana and the gods were known as the sadhyas.
(5) The fifth manvantara was ruled over by a Manu named Raivata. The gods were the abhutarajas and the seven great sages were Devavahu, Suvahu, Parjanya, Somapa, Munti, Hiranyaroma and Saptashva.
(6) Chakshusha was the sixth Manu. The gods were known as the lekhas and the seven great sages were Bhrigu, Sudhama, Viraja, Sahishnu, Nada, Vivasvana, and Atinama. (Bhrgu’s descendants precede him as per this account).
(7) The seventh manvantara is the one that is now current and the name of the Manu is Vaivasvata. The saptarshis are Atri, Vashishtha, Kashyapa, Goutama, Bharadvaja, Vishvamitra and Jamadagni (Aurva’s son Jamadagni was the brother of Parasurama’s grandfather Rchaka. Parasurama’s father was also called Jamadagni.). The gods are the sadhyas, the vishvadevas, the maruts, the vasus, the two ashvinis and the adityas. (All of the Saptarishis were of Sri Rama’s time and senior to him, this is consistent with Valmiki’s Ramayanam)
(8) The eighth Manu will be Savarni and the seven great sages of this era will be Ashvatthama, Sharadvana, Koushika, Galava, Shatananda (Gauthama’s son was Satananda), Kashyapa and Rama (Would this be Parasurama?).
(9) The ninth Manu wil be Rouchya.
(10) Bhoutya will be the tenth Manu.
(11) The eleventh Manu will be named Merusavarni.
(12) Rita will be the twelfth Manu.
(13) Ritadhama will be the thirteenth Manu.
(14) The fourteenth and final Manu will be named Vishvakasena.”
Authorship and Copyright Notice : All Rights Reserved : Satya Sarada Kandula