I have updated the page : Aditi – Kasyapa
with the following information and more.
Adityas : As per the Linga Purana : Aditi’s sons were the twelve Adityas, named Indra, Dhata, Bhaga, Tvashta, Mitra, Varuna, Aryama, Vivasvan, Savita, Pusha, Amshuman and Vishnu. Vivasvan is father of Vaivaswatha Manu. Bhaga, Mitra, Savita, Pusha, Vivaswan and Amshuman are sometimes taken to be the names of Surya Deva. Dhata is sometimes used as a name of Brahma. Tvastha and Indra also appear in Parsi sacred texts.
As per Prof. P.L. Bhargava, the number of Adityas varies in different sukthas and mandala of the Rg Veda :
- Varuna, Mitra, Aryaman (1, 136.3 ; 7, 40.4, 8;7,51.2;7, 60.4 and 5; 8,47.9; 8,67.2;)
- In 8,52.7, Indra is called the 4th Aditya In 2, 27 Varuna, Mitra, Aryaman and Indra are mentioned together in many mantras.
- Mitra, Aryaman, Bhaga, Tuvijata, Varuna, Daksha and Amsa in 2, 27.1
- Varuna, Mitra, Aryaman, Indra, Savita in some sukthas
- In 10, 72.8 it is said that Aditi had 7 sons first and then the 8th son Marthanda later. Marthanda which means “born from a dead egg” is a name of our sun (which is a second generation star).
Authorship and Copyright Notice : All Rights Reserved : Satya Sarada Kandula