There was a flood at the end of the Cakshusha Manvantaram (6th Manvantaram). Then the Dravidesvara, Satyavrata, Vaivasvatha Manu, the ancestor of Sri Rama and disciple of Vasishtha, was rescued by Matsya Avataram. After this it was the Vaivaswatha Manvantaram. (See Also: http://oldthoughts.wordpress.com/kalpas-yugas-manvantaras/ ).
Please find below the original sanskrit sloka and translation from the Srimad Bhagavatham.
Traditionally, we are at the beginning of the kaliyugam of the 28th caturyugam of the Vaivaswata Manvantaram. Thus there are 28 caturygas minus the duration of 1 kaliyuga, that separate us in time from the Matsya Avataram flood. For the different durations types and durations if yugas you may see : How many kinds of Yugas are there?
Calculations : We have to select the right scale and origin.
Let us suppose that the Brahma Yugam of 5 years was used from the time of Brahma till the beginning of our Kruta Yuga. Then for theKrutha, Tretha and Dwapara Yuga, the 60 year Barhaspatya Yuhas were used.
- Then we have 27*(5*4) = 540 years till the beginning of our Krutha yuga, from the Matsya Avataram Flood.
- And we have 60*3 = 180 years, from the Krutha Yuga beginning to the end of Dwapara Yuga (the Avarohanam (Ascent) of Sri Krishna) and the beginning of our Kaliyuga
- I think that at this time, we adopted the astronomical scale, that includes more astronomical bodies. So our Kaliyuga is 4320000 years long instead of 60 years long. It is possible that some of the early.
We have indpendent reasons for agreeing with 3102 BCE as the start date of our Kaliyuga. (See : Date of the Mahabharata War).
Translating to Common Era Dates : using the scales above. (We can recalculate variously using different scales and origins. And pick the one that matches the evidence of the Saptarishi calendar, the Saraswathi river and other astronomical and geographical data.)
- Beginning of Vaiwasvatha Manvantaram : 3102 BCE + 180 + 540 = 3822 BCE
- Starting of the 28th Caturyugam : 3102 + 180 = 3282 BCE
- Beginning of our Tretha Yugam : 3102 + 120 = 3220 BCE
- Beginning of our Dwapara Yugam : 3162 BCE
- Beginning of our Kaliyugam : 3102 BCE
A 60 year dwapara yuga is too short to accomodate all the events that took place in it. See Also : Vaivaswatha Manu to Revati Devi, wife of Balarama Deva : Srimad Bhagavatham
Source : Srimad Bhagavatham : 1.3.15
rūpam — form; saḥ — He; jagṛhe — accepted; mātsyam — of a fish; cākṣuṣa — Cākṣuṣa; udadhi — water; samplave — inundation; nāvi — on the boat; āropya— keeping on; mahī — the earth; mayyām — drowned in; apāt — protected; vaivasvatam — Vaivasvata; Manum — Manu.
When there was a complete inundation after the period of the Cākṣuṣa Manu and the whole world was deep within water, the Lord accepted the form of a fish and protected Vaivasvata Manu, keeping him up on a boat.”
Authorship and CopyRight Notice : All Rights Reserved : Satya Sarada Kandula. Rights for the Sourced Material Vests with the source.
Caution : You may not quote in whole or part without my permission. Research is underway. You can link to, because I may update this page as data becomes available.