This shloka tells us that 1050 years was the gap between Pariskshit’s birth, the end of the Mahabharata War and the coronation of Nanda.
Who was Parikshit?
Parikshit was the son of Abhimanyu and Uttara. Abhimanyu was the son of Arjuna and Uttara was the daughter of Virata Raja, where the Pandavas spent their year of exile in disguise. (See : Brihannala!)
See Also : Janamejaya’s Dana Sasana Patram : Janamejaya was the son of Parikshit who performed the Sarpa Yaga.
When was Pariskhit born ?
Parikshit was born at the end of the Mahabharata War, Sri Krishna saved his life while he was yet in his mother’s womb. Based on other data we belive that this was 3138 BCE.
Who was Nanda ?
- Let us look for a Nanda who lived 1050 years after Parikshit.
- There is a Nandivardhana among the Pradyotanas who comes close to this date. He had a son called Nandi. See Jarasandha to Asokavardhana Maurya to Andhra Kings: Vishnu Puranam
- It is one possibility that the Nanda in the verse above could refer to the Pradyotana Nandivardhana and not at all to Mahapadmananda as has been suggested.
- This is because both references come from the same amsa and adhyaya of the Vishnu Puranam.
- This gives a period of 1050 years for 23 kings approx (or about 45 years per king).
- The other possibility will become clear after studying the rest of the shlokams which refer to the Saptarishi positions.
You can also see :
- Magadha kings as per Bhavishyat Purana
- Magadha after Jarasandha : Srimad Bhagavatham
- Jarasandha to Asokavardhana Maurya to Andhra Kings: Vishnu Puranam
- Andhra historical evidence before the Satavahanas
- Kalahana’s Rajatarangini : Kings from Sri Krishna’s time to Gonanda 3 the founder of Gonanda dynasty : The Date of Mahabharata War
- Tiruvalangadu Copper-Plates of Rajendra-Chola I: Ikshvakus to Karikala (Kalikala) Chola:
- India after Sri Krishna
Authorship and Copyright Notice : All Rights reserved : Satya Sarada Kandula