Ek Sparsh is a wonderful blog about issues that affect modern India. Posts include social initiatives in India and across the globe that help improve the lives of people. It is maintained by Adarsh Rao an engineer who wants to help!
Sample Posts :
- Electricity from dirt : The soil isn’t really turned into electricity per say, instead an anode and cathode are placed in the ground. Dirt is then placed on top of the anode and cathode and this is all connected to circuit board that charges a battery. The battery is charged and is then strong enough to provide a few hours of lighting. “A cubic metre of organic matter will generate only enough energy to light one high-efficiency LED light”.
- Saving endangered medicinal plants : To help keep these plant species from going extinct, the Indian government in 2008 initiated a program ‘Central Sector Scheme for Conservation, Development and Sustainable Management of Medicinal Plants.
- Saving the Sunderbans : In the backdrop of the alarming climate crisis, the governments of India and Bangladesh have initiated a joint venture to protect the Sunderbans ecosystem. According to Mr. Jairam Ramesh, Union Minister of State for Environment and Forests, “The India-Bangladesh Sunderbans Ecosystem Forum will be launched in September this year,”. The forum, which will include non-governmental organisations and civil society of both the countries, will coordinate efforts in afforestation, management of mangroves and conservation of the tiger. And, here are some numbers mentioned by the Minister, which we need to keep track of: Union Cabinet has approved the Rs 1156 crore Integrated Coastal Zone Management project, of which Rs. 300 crore will be spent in West Bengal, most of it on the Sunderbans. The 13th Finance Commission has sanctioned a grant of Rs. 450 crore for strengthening embankments at critical areas in the Sunderbans.
Good News India : is a web-site dedicated to all the good things and activities that Indians are engaging in to better the lot of our country. Sri D V Sridharan who publishes GNI is presently busy with a land restoration project christened, pointReturn. It would be nice if someone could continue the good work of reporting good news.
Sample Posts :
- Jul 04, 2003:Initiative Two game men and a tricycle : Dr. R Madhavan and Mr. V Subramaniam, have for 15 years now been pushing a tricycle and planting trees
- Jan 12, 2007:Sciences : A miracle rice : A new variety of rice known as the Aerobic Rice has been discovered which requires little water, generates no methane and produces good yields.
- Aavishkaar is a pioneer attempt by India’s overseas professionals to bring venture capitalism to socially, environmentally relevant small businesses.
- Prof. Lakshmi Thathachar at Melkote is a teacher, ecologist, animal breeder, computer adept and a champion of Sanskrit as an unmined knowledge source
India Helps is the admirable work of Kiran Manjral and team, they actually go out there and actively help people. If you are the sort who likes to “do” or to “know”, please do visit this blog…
Jai Bharat Mata. Jai Indians!