Are Time and Space “side-effect” of matter?
The common sense view is that “Time” and “Space” are like an arena in which events can happen. This is called the *absolute view of time.
(You could think of a co-ordinate system (x,y,z,t).)
There is a relational view of time. According to this, time and space are do not have any existence that is independent of material objects and processes. Time and Space are “side-effects” of matter.
Since a “clock” is a material object and process., it possibly mucks around with time and space too!
The time cycle is made up of several small time lines that historians fuss about :
In Cyclic Time, what is in the past also lies ahead in the future. (eg as explained in the Siva Maha Puranam). In a large circle a small arc can be approximated by a straight line. So you can have a historical sense of time in short time intervals. Or a time circle is made up of a large number of time lines…
Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Sakthi Rupena Samsthita :
Devotees of Devi, worship her saying that she exists as Sakthi (energy, competence , potential) in all beings.
Let us understand this.
- All matter is made up of atoms. Kanada Maharshi said this. Modern Science says this. I accept it.
- An atom is made up of 99.9999999999999% empty space.
- What does that tell you about the universe? It is mostly Nothing.. Matter Wise.
- But is it really empty?
- “Atoms as huge voids may be true as concerns the particles within them, but that is only half the story: their inner space is filled with electric and magnetic force fields, so powerful that they would stop you in an instant if you tried to enter. It is these forces that give solidity to matter, even while its atoms are supposedly ‘empty’. The fields within atoms are over a thousand times greater than we can achieve in macroscopic technology, though they are restricted to atomic dimensions “(Close, Frank (). Nothing : A Very Short Introduction. Oxford, , GBR: OUP Oxford, 2009. p 28.
So the inner space of atoms, and therefore for the universe is filled by energy fields. This Sakthi (energy, competence , potential) that exists in all beings, I worship as the Devi, when I use this stotram.
- The basic idea is that there is a kind of tension existing in otherwise ‘empty’ space that manifests itself by producing forces on objects that happen to be in the vicinity.
- This means that we could contemplate a region of space devoid of all material bodies but it would not be empty if there were even just one more body elsewhere in the universe: the gravitational field from that remote body would fill all of the otherwise ‘empty’ region. (Even that single body might not be required. According to Einstein’s theory of general relativity, energy in all its forms creates gravitational fields)”. (Close, Frank (). Nothing : A Very Short Introduction. Oxford, , GBR: OUP Oxford, 2009).
*“Newton envisaged some absolute space and time – a metaphorical grid of invisible measuring rods defining up– down, left– right, and front– behind: the three dimensions of space. Bodies that are at rest or in ‘uniform motion’ (i.e. not accelerating) relative to this moved according to his laws of motion. This grid formed the mental construct of what is known as an ‘inertial frame” (Close, Frank (). Nothing : A Very Short Introduction. Oxford, , GBR: OUP Oxford, 2009). A planet moving in a circle around the Sun is not an inertial frame.. there is a centripetal force that is making it change its direction and hence its velocity every second.. even if its speed remains the same. In practice the idea of an inertial frame is illusory.
Authorship and Copyright Notice : All Rights Reserved : Satya Sarada Kandula
- Time : Past, Present and Future : Bhuta Bhavya Bhavan Nathah Vishnuh
- Time : Why study time ? : “Kaalah Aham – I am Time” – Krishna
- Time : Kalakantha, kalamurthi, kalagni, kalanasana, Siva : Markandeya : Maghamahatmya
- Time and Space : Are Time and Space “side-effect” of matter? Is Space empty? or full of some”thing” else?