- Our own internal understanding of time is really a never ending present. Now! That is the time of the Self.
- Our own understanding of ourselves is the unchanging Self.
- When my environment is as static as can be, or when my mind is engaged in an activity that is unmindful of environmental state changes, “I” don’t know “how much time has passed.”
- A specialty of Ancient Indians is that we believed that just as various celestial events were cyclic, so was time cyclic. Events happened and happened again in a cycle, but with slight variations in the actual details.
- All times co-exist just as all space co-exists, because time and space are variants of one another.
- Siva has been described as “ kAlakanTham : The time-throated one, kAlamUrtim : One who has the form of time, kAlAgnim : The fire of time, kAlanas’anam : the destroyer of time ”
- There is a relational view of time. According to this, time and space are do not have any existence that is independent of material objects and processes. Time and Space are “side-effects” of matter.
- The time cycle is made up of several small time lines that historians fuss about : In Cyclic Time, what is in the past also lies ahead in the future. (eg as explained in the Siva Maha Puranam). In a large circle a small arc can be approximated by a straight line. So you can have a historical sense of time in short time intervals. Or a time circle is made up of a large number of time lines…
- Atoms as huge voids may be true as concerns the particles within them, but that is only half the story: their inner space is filled with electric and magnetic force fields, so powerful that they would stop you in an instant if you tried to enter. It is these forces that give solidity to matter, even while its atoms are supposedly ‘empty’. The fields within atoms are over a thousand times greater than we can achieve in macroscopic technology, though they are restricted to atomic dimensions.
- So the inner space of atoms, and therefore for the universe is filled by energy fields. This Sakthi (energy, competence , potential) that exists in all beings, I worship as the Devi : Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Sakthi Rupena Samsthita.
- Philosophers define sat as goodness, rajas as passion and tamas as ignorance. But there are alternate definitions. sat means existence, that which is. One of the meanings of this is matter. It can simply be said to be the present participle of the root “as” which means “to be” . This is for people who accept that matter exists (and not an illusion). rajas means light, that which shines. tamas is darkness. The three gunAs or “ropes that bind the self to nature” are sat, rajas and tamas – matter, light and darkness.
- Matter by virtue of its existence or movement causes all the energy fields we know about the gravitational and the electromagnetic. “Sakthi” fills the universe. But it is caused by “sat!”
- The “matter affected” by the electromagnetic wave can also scatter it or distort the field. That means matter can affect other matter “right back” as well as make things different for all other matter! So all the matter together creates all the energy fields through the universe, which moves matter about further altering the energy fields.
- It takes Time for matter to affect other matter. The effects are not instantaneous. It takes Time for “matter effects” or waves to reach the affected matter.
- My personal perception at this time is that consciousness is a sort of emergent phenomenon. That means first stuff (‘sat’) and then consciousness (purusha, ‘tat’).
- What do we, human beings, do? We bridge synapses, the gaps between neurons in our brains, when we learn. We transfer our “brain patterns” or thought processes to others, when we teach, write converse etc. We alter the landscape of the earth and create new materials : molecules like plastic, new intelligent beings : robots and computers. We put small objects like satellites in space which serve to transmit information among ourselves using electromagnetic radiation. In addition to transforming the appearance of our earth’s crust and sending new plastic materials (satellites) into space (our solar system)., we Actively Observe Others in the Universe and Ourselves, forming impressions that explain the world. We learn, we are conscious and we have at least the illusion of free will. We recognise this consciousness in other living beings.
- Sankaracharya in his vakyavritti of Tat Tvam Asi, says that Tat, the Brahman and Tvam the jeevatma are one and the same and that both are of the form of cit (consciousness). Maya (Illusion) is the Upadhi for Brahman, it is mistaken for the Brahman, as your body-mind is mistaken for you.
- Devi Bhagavatham tells us that Sarva Chaitanya was first, then the universe: (Reference) : Vishnu told Brahma : Maha Sakti is the Îs’varî (the master) of the Îs’varas of this universe. O Brahmâ! You, I and all other things of the entire Universe are born of the Chit S’akti (the power of consciousness) of Her and Her alone; there is no manner of doubt in this.
- The text tells us that it is c’it (chitta) or consciousness that is eternal and is the cause of all that we see around us moving or unmoving. Some may refer to it as the Purusha and some as the Devi. Devi is Sakti (Energy), Devi is Chaitanya (Consciousness). Energy Fields (electromagnetic, gravitational) are an effect of matter. Consciousness is an effect of matter (electro-bio-chemical activity). Consciousness is literally a kind of energy (activity) too. Avyakta (undifferentiated) Sakti (energy), Devi (divinity) is first. This became the vyakta (differentiated) : matter and energy filled universe.
- We have seen, that Time was perceived by Ancient Indians as Divinity – Krishna, Vishnu, Siva! There is no question of “killing time or wasting time”, it is Time who kills all, in fact, while our Self is eternal, this life has already been destroyed by Time. (Bhagavad Gita).
We have seen that space (including the atoms that we are made of) is not empty or full of ‘ether’ but of energy fields strong enough to move stars. This we recognised as the Devi who is in all things, in all worlds in the form of energy.
We have defined life, fundamentally as “that which eats” to pursue its activities. We have seen that life as well as digestion are attributes of Vishnu, in our philosophy. We have also seen that the stars which are self consuming and energy radiating are givers of life and that giving life is an attribute of Vishnu.
We have seen that consciousness is a mental process made up of bio-electrical-chemical signals – ie the movement of little electrons and chemical particles. And that this consciousness is the Self, the Brahman, the Sarva Chaitanya Devi, the Atma and the Paramatma.
- In our universe there is no place where you can stand and take measurements of distance and time, that will bear even a constant relationship to the measurements made by some one else standing at another place, forget agreeing with them!
- The equivalent mass of a bit of light energy is proportional to hf/cc.
- A sat – s’akti equivalence. And we did work out previously that cit was a form of s’akti and devi was cit swaroopi. So we have a sat-cit equivalence too! “aum tat sat” : ‘that’ (brahman) is ‘that which is’ (reality). tat, sat and cit are all forms of the brahman. Knowing that gives ananda.
- Light is made up of massless particles called photons. The moment a photon is created, it quickly accelerates to c = 3*10^8 m/s. Nothing can go faster than a massless particle in vaccuum!! And thus Lakshmi Devi, Light, who “is never still in one place”, is the fastest one in the Universe., and also the ‘lightest’! Only “he who is everywhere”, Vishnu, can be her darling, Lakshmikantha.
- Common Sense is a poor guide in the domains of the very fast and the very small. For many thousands of years, humans have studied the rules that govern objects and activities on our scale. Then we discovered that all the rules we framed are not highly accurate or highly truthful but they serve as Excellent Approximations in our scale of things, in our frame of reference. Things change drastically on other scales, where these approximations and methods are invalid.
- Knowing, understanding, recognising is about Cognition. Doing this before something happens is pre-cognition. While most humans have rather bad memories and poor cognition, almost everyone has no pre-cognition at all.
- Agni is associated with the movement of electrons. As a chemical reaction in fire and digestion, as stream of moving electrons in electricity. When electrons “jump” the “right” energy states photons can be emitted. In Sri Suktham, we tell Agni, the one born of Vedas (jAtavEda) to bring Lakshmi! (lakshmIm jAtavedO ma Avaha) We have previously understood Lakshmi as light. Now, we tell fire to go bring us light. We tell the moving electrons to release photons!!
- Physicists like to understand light. They like to model it with mathematical equations. They like to predict how it will be have in different situations. Engineers like to use this information and bend light to their will. For eg in a fiber optic cable. When physicists first started to understand light, they did some experiments and tried to observe what it did. They listed all its properties. Some properties qualified Light for the Wave Stereotype box. Some properties qualified it for the Particle Stereotype box. Finally they said that light is produced and absorbed as if it were a particle (ie that particle mathematical model works) and it travels as if it were a wave. (ie that wave mathematical model works). Then they tried to write longer equations taking more things into account to see if they could use one mathematical model which would describe the behaviour of light under all conditions. What I am trying to say is that Light is Light and has been so before there were humans around to observe it and model it. We are the ones who initially evolved two different kinds of models and were astonished when Light does not fit the one or the other under all situations!
- The entire universe is in a sense ‘untouched’ and ‘untouchable’. If I try to shake your hand, the atoms in my hand repel the atoms in yours and won’t let them “pass through”. This electromagnetic repulsion is what we experience as touching. Pushing, Colliding and all related effects are actually electromagnetic repulsive forces at work.
- “At a fundamental level, a force isn’t just something that happens to particles. It is a thing which is passed between two particles. Particle physicists have found that we can explain the force of one particle acting on another to INCREDIBLE precision by the exchange of these force carrier particles. One important thing to know about force carriers is that a particular force carrier particle can only be absorbed or produced by a matter particle which is affected by that particular force. For instance, electrons and protons have electric charge, so they can produce and absorb the electromagnetic force carrier, the photon. Neutrinos, on the other hand, have no electric charge, so they cannot absorb or produce photons. The carrier particle of the electromagnetic force is the photon (). Photons of different energies span the electromagnetic spectrum of x rays, visible light, radio waves, and so forth. Life is just a neat example of electromagnetic force! ”
- When we want to look at something we usually “throw a little light on it”… ie we hit it with photons. Electrons are tiny little critters. You hit an electron with a photon and it might absorb the photon. Its energy state will change. It’s not just light that has a dual particle-wave nature. All particles also have a wave behaviour! So while it’s true that there is no point in “hitting particles with photons”, or “throwing light” on small particles to observe them, you can hit them with tinier particles. How do you do this? You take a tiny “probing” particle. Accelerate it to such levels that it has high frequency and a really short wavelength. Now hit the target particle with it. Now observe! (Reference)
- c^2 = permeability of free space*permittivity of free space as per Maxwell’s electromagnetic equations. If speed of light varied from one inertial frame of reference to another, then physics would be different in every plane, car, planet and so on and that is not the case. Michelson and Morley proved this experimentally. The fact that the speed of light and all of physics does not depend on non-accelerating frames of reference is the basis of Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity.
- The Labyrinth of Time, Introducing the Universe : by Michael Lockwood, Oxford University Press
- Ridderbos, Katinka (Editor). Time. West Nyack, NY,USA: Cambridge University Press, 2002. pg 14-15)
- Close, Frank (). Nothing : A Very Short Introduction. Oxford, , GBR: OUP Oxford, 2009. p 28.
- Newton to Einstein, the trail of light, by Ralph Baierlein.
- My previous posts on Ancient Indians