In his commentary on Vishnu Sahasranamam, Sri Adi Sankaracharya, explains the word parAyaNam परायण, as param ayanam or the ultimate place/state that is to be reached. On seeing which the hRdaya granthi is destroyed. He quotes the Mundaka Upanishad.
- bhidyate hṛdaya-granthiś chidyante sarva-saṁśayāḥ,
kṣīyante cāsya karmāṇi tasmin dṛṣṭe parāvare.
When that parAvara (paramAtma) is seen, the hRdayagranthi is opened, all doubts are cut down and all karmAs are destroyed.
In the previous post we have seen that avidyaa-kaama-karma granthi or hRdayagranthi is the cause of all tensions and unhappiness and that is to be opened up. hRdayagranthi : हृदयग्रन्थि : Heart Knot : upaniSads, tantra, haTa yOga (Part 1)
In tantra, the hrudayagranthi is seen actually as three granthis, each located at different points on our body.
Reference for material below : Chakras - Energy Centers of Transformation by Harish Johari
- The Brahma granthi is located at mUlAdhAra chakra or at the navel. (as per different texts.)
- This is the knot of samsAra, the world of names and forms (nAma-rUpa) that we have discussed previously. It is called the brahma granthi because brahma created this world of names and forms!
- This knot creates restlessness and an inability to meditate.
- The Vishnu Granthi is located at the anAhata or heart chakra.
- This knot produces
- attachment to the cosmic good
- and a keen desire to help suffering humanity
- It binds one to spiritual organizations and orders.
- This knot creates a desire to preserve
- ancient knowledge,
- spiritual orders
- This attachment is further strengthened by the heart chakra, which is the chakra of
- faith and
- But even this is a bond. It can be untied with viveka, gnyAna and s’raddha – discrimination, knowledge and faith. Then you can understand the cosmic plan and go beyond the attachment of preservation. You will lose your attachment caused by emotional ties to traditions and commitments that appear as loyalty to a particular order.
- Individual ego dissolves and the will of God prevails. Yogis who have untied this knot hear the cosmic sound and hear mantrAs, which they give to the world.
- This knot produces
- The Rudra Granthi is located in the region of the third eye.
- Untying this knot will take you to the Anandamaya kosha.
- On reaching this knot a yOgi becomes a tattvaateeta – beyond the five tattvas of earth, water etc
- On reaching this knot time-bound consciousness dissolves and the yOgi is established in infinity and can see the pat, present and furture very clearly.
- The rudra granthi is now an obstacle for a yOgi who is interested in siddhis.
- Untying this knot by being detached from the siddhis and crossing the guNAs, the yOgI becomes a guNAtIta. This is what Krishna told Arjuna to become.
- The yOgi is now in the advaita state of eternal bliss and non-dual consciousness.
Thus the brahma granthi ties you to the physical world of things, the vishnu granthi ties you to the world of emotions, compassion, love, loyalty and the rudra granthi ties you to the kAraNa (causal) plane of ideas, visions and intuition.
The param ayanam, or final state destroys the hRdayagranthi which consists of these three knots.
Yudhisthira asked Bhishma : who is that one divinity in the world – ekam daivam and that one parAyaNam, who should be praised and worshiped by the sons of Manu to attain good?
And as you know, Bhishma’s answer was the dEva of the dEvAs, the lord of the moving world, the best puruSa! by praising Him with a thousand names is a man (again the word puruSa is used) is always elevated!