Ashtavakra (aSTAvakra) (Story From mahabharata)
- aSTAvakra samhitA (gItA) : The Conversation between Ashtavakra and Janaka : (Links to previous posts)
aSTAvakra said :
वेष्टि means waist cloth (gaavanc’a in telugu). samvEStitah is a person who is properly covered by a vESti. guNa means rope and guNa means quality. In much Indian Philosophy, prAkRTi is the manifested universe and puruSa is the consciousness. There are 3 guNAs in prakRti – sat (existence), rajas (illumination) and tamas (darkness). These three are considered bonds that bind us.
- The body is clothed – samvESTitah – by guNAs. It comes, stays and goes. (It is born, lives and dies). But the self neither comes, stays nor goes. Why worry? (You-I-They-the Self neither takes birth, lives nor dies – Why worry?)
- Let the body stay till the end of the kalpa (a day of brahma) or let it go today only. Where is the vRddhi – prosperity or hAni-harm to you who are of the form of pure consciousness?
- In you, who are the endless great ocean, let the wave of the universe (wave of expansion – vis’vavIci) rise and subside of its own nature – svabhAva. There is no vRddhi – growth or kSati-destruction to you.
- Oh revered one! you are cinmAtrarUpa (of the form of cit-consciousness). Why the idea of the rejectable and the acceptable.
- In you, the One, unchangeable, peaceful, pure, AkAs’a of cit (space/ether/sky of consciousness), where is the janma (birth), where is the karma, and where is the ahankAra (I-ness)?
- Do bracelets, amulets and anklets appear different from gold (of which they are made)? Thus you alone radiate from whatever you perceive!
- Realise that the Self is all. Having given up the distinctions that “I am this”, “I am not this”, without sankalpa (intentions/wishes), be happy!
- The vis’va (universe/expansion), is from your ignorance. There is no samsArI (one of the world ) or asamsArI (one not of this world). From paramArtha (the understanding of the ultimate), you alone exist!
- The Us-they-I-You-manifest-unmanifest is all one. Everything is the Self. There is nothing else at all. It is my Self I see radiating from all that I perceive. I see my Self, everywhere and in everything.
aSTAvakra said :
- One who realises that the universe is merely an illusion (bhrAntimAtram) and nothing else, thinks this is nothing and becomes peaceful, desireless and sphUrtimAtra (just स्फूर्ति – throbbing/manifestation).
- There is only One in this ocean of being. There is neither mOksa nor bandha (freedom nor bondage). Be कृतकृत्य, one who has accomplished his purpose and be happy (sukham cara)!
- Oh cinmaya! (One consisting of pure cit)! do not distress your citta (चित्त, mind) with sankalpa and vikalpa, right and wrong conceptions. Having become calm, stay peacefully in your Self – the embodiment of Ananda.
- Give up dhyAna (paying attention) everywhere. Dob’t hold (dhAra) anything in your heart. You are the free Self. What will you do having deliberated? (विमृश्य)!